Tuesday, March 06, 2007

You Win, Stan

Despite the horrid worse-than-05 pitching we've seen this spring, I just got off the phone with the Nationals ticket office. I renewed my miniplan.

I've had a number of reasons why I wasn't going to. Whether it was the lack of investment in the '07 team, to the PTSD I was diagnosed with after watching Ramon Ortiz pitch, there were a number of reasons. In the end, though, it came down to flexibility. For various reasons, I missed a number of games on my plan last year, and I'm not rich enough to be able to eat that many games.

But with the team's new ticket exchange program, that problem goes away. If I know I can't make a game, I can trade it in. Or if I'm scheduled to see a Joel Hanrahan start, I can cash that one in ahead of time, too. It's a wonderfully convenient policy, and one I expect not to see next season!

I'll be cashing in a number of those games to bring larger groups of friends (Yes, I have some -- some being defined as more than one) or to make sure that I'm watching John Patterson and not some of the other stiffs.

I went to about 40 games the first year, and a little more than half that last year. I probably won't go to that many this year, but I can already taste the cheap beer and those chili nachos! I'm getting my scorebook ready.

So, Stan, if you're reading this, you got me. You suckered me in. From the initial pitch convincing me I should move down to the cheap seats, to the follow ups informing me of the ticket exchange program, you worked hard for that $200, and your bosses should be proud. That's a few extra bucks they get to pocket under the guise of building the farm! (PS: I'll buy two more tickets if you make Guzman and Logan disappear.)

9 Comments:

  • Yes, this self-congratulatory post represents the worst of blogging. I agree with you, Mr. Loverro -- not that he'd waste his time reading this tripe!

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 3/06/2007 3:57 PM  

  • Chris, your drank the cool aid? Oh well, I was really happy to see you holding on unlike me who re-upped for the 3rd season before I fully understood the "PLAN" was to loose and loose very big in 2007.....get a high draft pick and lie to the fans while spending nothing on major league talent....Logan can not play....what a surprise....Guzman is just waiting for someone to tell him it is OK for him to go home and cash all those checks in the Islands....thanks Jim B, nice signing there.

    By Blogger JayB, at 3/06/2007 4:32 PM  

  • I was likely going to go to 15 or so games anyway, so if I can pick which ones I want, I might as well reup.

    I have zero expectations of the team doing anything, but if I pick my opponent and John Patterson starts judiciously, I'm hoping for an in-person .500 season!

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 3/06/2007 4:35 PM  

  • Is that 500 season winning percentage or the number of pounds you expect to gain at the Hard Times stand?

    By Blogger Nate, at 3/06/2007 5:35 PM  

  • If they still let you bring in Saran Wrap, I've found that if you cover the nachos, you can bring them home and have them for lunch the next day. Mmmmm! Soggy chips!

    Plus, if Ramon Ortiz somehow makes his way back to the RFK mound, the wrap is perfect for making that air-proof seal.

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 3/06/2007 5:39 PM  

  • Where is there cheap beer at RFK? At the store, yes, Bud and Miller are cheap beers, but for me, even at a ballpark, any beer that costs me $6 per serving isn't "cheap."

    Put me down for another season of Lean Cuisines at my desk before heading to my $5 seats at the stadium.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/06/2007 8:44 PM  

  • 16 ounces for $5 bucks of Home Run Ale in the pub right behind the plate in the 100 level. It's surprisingly good. And $5 for 16 isn't a complete theft. I'm sure they'll ensure it doesn't return next year!

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 3/06/2007 9:15 PM  

  • I followed your blog religiously last year and this is my first time here since the day Sori signed with the Cubs. It is hard for me to get excited for this crap they call a team. Get ready for 08 is total BS, when we will have enough money to sign a "competive" pitching staff. However, I just bought tickets again on the group plan with my buddies.

    It is only costing me a 100 bucks and I am sure I will stop going by August. Our only motivation is not to lose our ticket chances for the 08 season. I feel held hostage and I am spitting up any Kool Aid provided by WPost/Kasten/Lerner/Bowden.

    Every article I read about the Os/Nats reminds me of Fox News. Both teams will lose a combined 180+ games and the keep telling me about some BS offseason program. I can not take it. do we have an over /under for Nook's BA/OBP?

    By Blogger Mac G, at 3/07/2007 1:43 PM  

  • Logan? With the way he's hitting this spring, .---/ .---

    He's playing worse than Church did last year.

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 3/07/2007 1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home