Friday, March 09, 2007

Kasten Loves Bodes

Jon Heyman follows up yesterday's blurb about Bowden being the hotseat with some quotes from Stan Kasten poopooing the report. Well... sort of. Heyman obviously hasn't become intimately familiar (get your mind out of the gutter) with the StanSpeak Translator, so let's help him out.
The marriage of holdover Nationals GM Jim Bowden and new team president Stan Kasten was predicted by some to be a tough one from the start, and while there are whispers the odd couple isn't seeing eye-to-eye, Kasten strongly stressed that those rumors are untrue. "That takes me by complete surprise. I don't know who leaked it,'' Kasten responded by phone. "I think everyone's on the same page except for Mr. Lerner, and I know we've made a lot of progress (I hope Jon doesn't ask who "We" is) from what was a difficult situation (I hope Jon doesn't realize that this doesn't actually address the Lamar thing) when we took over and was made worse by some of Jim's signings such as Guzman. Even Jim's critics like me would have to admit he's had a pretty good run of moves....somehow''

The perception around baseball is that Bowden "isn't Stan's guy,'' and that he retained the job because he quickly formed a relationship with Ted Lerner's son. But Kasten gave no credence to that with his comments (HA! rookie. I give no credence to anything. Ever.).

Additionally, Kasten shot down any thought he's unhappy with his new arrangement, saying, "I'm doing great. The money is rolling in. We've got high hopes to be even richer. I'm very excited about the progress in selling tickets we've made so far. I think we are coming together much quicker than anyone thinks, especially our financial backers.''

6 Comments:

  • So Chris, apropos of nothing, has Will Leitch asked you to do the Nats preview for Deadspin yet? I'm legitimately frightened about what it's going to say.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/09/2007 4:29 PM  

  • Somehow I must've missed that email! ;)

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 3/09/2007 4:55 PM  

  • Sorry Markb but Deadspin is going beyond the "team blogger" for these previews. Only one of the previews so far was written by someone who primarily just writes a team blog and that guy is in the process of writing a book.

    By Blogger Harper, at 3/09/2007 10:01 PM  

  • Ha! Great stuff Chris. I'll bet Stan loves this one. Cap'n Leatherpants, on the other hand . . . he's quaking in his . . . leatherpants(?)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/09/2007 10:20 PM  

  • Chris,

    I think that Stan Kasten is just jealous because Bowden is a better dancer than he is, and he's also a terrific painter. He can do an entire living room in one afternoon - two coats! Let's see Brian Cashman or Theo Epstein do that!

    By Blogger Joe Riley, at 3/09/2007 10:32 PM  

  • "I know a lot's been said about us looking for four starters, but there are some teams that are missing three and two (we are not the just 33% worse off than some bad teams). Everybody's looking for pitching (not my fault talk to Jim B). Hopefully (I we will not set a Major League record for loses) out of all these arms we have over here, we can put five guys out there who are going to give us a chance to compete (why did I say we were going to be competitive, managing fan expectations after I pumped up this team sucks, my bad!)."
    -- Manny Acta on the Nationals' unsettled rotation

    Manny's tone has sure changed from just a few weeks ago....Chris could we might need a translator to Acta soon.

    By Blogger JayB, at 3/10/2007 5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home