Monday, June 04, 2007

What's the @#$#ing Score?

Now that I have MASN, I rarely listen to the radio. But as I was puttering around in my car doing errands yesterday, I had WaPo Radio on, listening to the game.

Anyway, at one point, after having been away from the radio for an hour or so, I hopped back in the car, and turned the radio on to hear Chuck Slowes come back from commercial, mentioning that it was the bottom of the 9th inning.

HE NEVER GAME THE GODDAMN SCORE!!! Perhaps the most basic job a radio guy has. Let the fans know what's going on, especially those who can't, you know, WATCH the game.

I could tell by his voice (and the inning) that we were losing. And I could tell by the pitcher on the mound that it wasn't especially close, though his mention of Trevor Hoffman told me we were dealing with a 4 or 5-run game. But it could've been 20-16 or 8-4. Who knew? Chuck did, but he didn't tell anyone.

During the inning, we got to hear all about the entire series, and what each of the batters had been doing over their last few games, but not the score. Even when the game wrapped up, he refused to give the Fecking score, relaying the results of the entire series and the stupid hit and error totals before letting us know the results of the stupid game -- held back for the stylized throw-it-to-commercial, "here's your final score from RFK..."

I like Chuck's passion. He's certainly got the pipes (although sometimes he lays the shtick on a little to heavily). But he does a few things that just drive me batty. I could live with the mindless recitation of numbers he gives at every opportunity -- that's just his style -- but when I'm listening to the game on the radio, I need to know what's happening. And he fails at that.

It's an easy enough fix! Jon Miller has an egg timer. Every time the sand runs out, he resets the game, since he knows people tune in and out depending on their schedule.

I just know that I shouldn't have to wait 5-6 minutes from the start of the 9th inning to know what's happening in the game, and then, only after the game has been over for a minute.

3 Comments:

  • Amen. This drives me insane too, as I often get in my car to come home from the train station each day during the first or second inning.

    It's such a basic thing, too. The only medium for information in a radio broadcast is the voice - we don't know anything they don't tell us.

    And it would be so easy, too - you can reset the entire inning and the score in one breath. "Bottom ninth, nobody on, two out, Nats trail 7-3."

    By Blogger Rocket1124, at 6/04/2007 11:03 AM  

  • Invest in an XM Radio and the score is always up in front of you, along with the inning.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/04/2007 11:49 AM  

  • I'll send you my paypal account info, ok? ;)

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 6/04/2007 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home