Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Keepin' Score

Though I'm mocked for it by heartless jerks, I always keep score at games I go to. I like how it forces you to pay attention to the intricacies and how it's a nice little souvenir of what you've seen. I can look back at old scorecards now and remember what happened on specific plays and bring back details that are taking space up of things that are actually useful to remember.

When the team came, I wanted to order a scorebook, so I could have something more permanent than the crappy card they overcharge for at the game. After looking at a few, I ended up making my own. For a few bucks at Kinkos, you can get it bound (plenty of good cover choices here) and have something that won't fall apart during the mid-August sweats.

It's got a place to track pitches and enough boxes for plenty of double-switches and extra innings.

If you're interested and would like a copy of it, just send me an email.

5 Comments:

  • To hell with the heartless jerks--they are jealous. Besides, you can send them my way (512) to see a total geek. Radio in ear, scorebook in lap, camera around my wrist and for summer games, a portable fan around my neck.

    I followed your path last year, even purchasing a couple of Bob Carpenter's scorebooks which I found too free-form for my tastes.

    I ended up taking Christopher Swingley's score sheets to Kinko's and having them bound. Some of my scribbled-on examples on up on Flickr

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/27/2007 10:14 AM  

  • I recently got the McGregor Oversized scorecard

    Plenty of room to work, but still not enough slots for pitchers.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/27/2007 11:07 AM  

  • Thanks for the reminder! I just tried creating my scorebook in Word so I can have it printed and bound in smaller size (unlike most, I like a small compact way to score that fits easily in my bag). I also invented a really weird way to score but it makes translating the game into a story easier for me.

    Hey Jol, nice to see you're still around!

    By Blogger Cathy, at 3/27/2007 1:48 PM  

  • Keeping score is great, however, at what point during the season do you give up? I am sorry if I am not upbeat this season and I need to start believing in the "Plan." I love to keep score but it is determined on how much I plan on drinking that game

    By Blogger Mac G, at 3/27/2007 2:27 PM  

  • I started on a BC scorebook last season, but I might switch to the Gene Elston scorebook when I need a new one.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/27/2007 2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home