Thursday, March 22, 2007

Historically Bad

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports investigates the dubious claims that the sure-to-be woeful Nats are going to be 'historically bad'. It's a fun little article, featuring a defensive Stan Kasten.
"You can look at our team and our defense and our pitching staff," [Brian] Schneider said, "and you go ahead and ask around the league: Teams hate playing us."

Such a supposition seemed fishy, so we did ask around the league: Do teams really hate playing the Nationals? Each NL personnel man uttered some derivation of what one scout put best: "Yeah, like we hate eating chocolate cake."

And yet when pressed further, about whether the Nationals could be 120-loss bad, the scout scoffed.

"No," he said. "No one's that bad."

I don't think the team is going to be historically bad either. But sure, we're going to be bad. If I had to give a gut estimate, I'd say about 97 losses. There just aren't any elite teams in the NL that are going to beat the snot out of us over and over and over. Oh, the Phillies, Mets and Braves'll be good, but there's not a 110-win juggernaut among them.

Further in the article, our good friend Stan Kasten repeats his mantra of late:
"What's always a good reminder for me – and I'm not making a prediction – the last time I had a team projected to finish last was my 1991 (Atlanta Braves) team," he said. "That team lost in extra innings in the seventh game of the World Series.

I'm stealing this from someone (OMG?), but if you look further, the previous five seasons that Stan Kasten's teams were expected to finish in last place, you know what they did? Finished last four teams, next-to-last once.

I suspect we're closer to that reality than to Kasten's sunny mantra/non-prediction.

7 Comments:

  • Sounds like me, but I don't think it is.

    To be historically 120 loss bad you either have to put together an expansion team or something has to go horribly wrong. Unless John Patterson kills Ryan Zimmerman in a murder-suicide after learning of Austin Kearns' mureder-suicide involving Nick Johnson this team won't lose 120. Any slapped together team of major league talent can win about 60 games.

    By Blogger Harper, at 3/22/2007 10:59 PM  

  • (I was just blaming it on you so that Stan didn't take my tickets away from you)

    So where's your floating win average at? (Did I just end a sentence with at? Shoot me.)

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 3/22/2007 11:01 PM  

  • I dunno, we have to at least acknowledge that this possibility exists. I heard Buster Olney say a day or two ago that baseball writers in florida now have a March Madness style pool going about how many games the Nats will lose? and that the bidding STARTS at 105 and exceeds 130?!?!?!? and that the "hot action" now is in the mid to high 120s?!?!?!?

    my question - have we deluded ourselves into thinking this team could be respectable or does this team really have the potential to be that bad?

    By Blogger DCPowerGator, at 3/23/2007 9:47 AM  

  • You know how that story is BS? How could you set up a March Madness bracket with losses? ;)

    I have no doubt that people think the team is going to be bad, but they're forgetting how lousy the pitching was last year. And without any real dominant teams in the league (You can make a case for about 13 of the 16 teams in the league to win their divisions), it's going to be hard to have a truly terrible team.

    The Nats have quite a bit of talent. Zimmerman, Lopez, Kearns are all average or better at their positions. The bullpen is solid (though I think it's going to take a step back this year).

    This isn't a 120-loss team, unless there are a bunch of injuries.

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 3/23/2007 9:51 AM  

  • Yeah, I think he meant a "pool" not a "bracket" but it was bothersome to hear nonetheless. I can't believe we're "rooting" for sub-100 losses. Actually, I can't believe I paid for the privilege!!! ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

    By Blogger DCPowerGator, at 3/23/2007 10:13 AM  

  • It's Bowden, not Kasten... as a Reds fan I can assure you that Bowden has no team building strengths, knows nothing about pitching and lusts after tools players at the expense of others.

    When you remove the man the sore heals quicker (unless you hire a dead man like Dan O'Brien to sit in his office and do nothing)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/23/2007 10:19 AM  

  • Wait a minute...Bowden likes toolsy players?!?!?!

    This changes everything...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/23/2007 11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home