Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Awwww.... They're So Cute!

JE has been all over the Cordero to Boston rumors. That they're being reported in Boston, and that Bowden has really run a leak-proof organization makes me think there's more smoke on Boston's end of the deal, but who really knows.

I was perusing Sons of Sam Horn, the preeminent Red Sox Message Board, and they have an entire thread devoted to the latest rounds of rumors. Instead of doing something substantive with the rumors (I don't really like dealing with rumors), I'd rather take random stupid posts from that thread and make fun of them. I'm mean like that. Frequently, their posts display the worst form of statheadism -- complete devotion to the numbers without really understanding what they mean -- and other times it shows that it's possible to be too close to something.

  • I hate how the Red Sox have built a bullpen this offseason-- wasting precious resources on aging mediocrities like Brendan Donnelly, Joel Pinata, J.C. Romero, and of course Mike Letemin-- but am afraid that Cordero is as likely to compound the problem as solve it.

    Cordero's an aging mediocrity? Well, I guess he's aging in the sense that we all are.

  • Any pitcher in the National League should by definition be considered "second tier," and evaluated as if you were promoting someone from Pawtucket.

    Josh Beckett sucking isn't the NL's fault! ;)

  • Cordero has enjoyed a fip-era of 1.78 and 1.27 in the last two seasons. This means he benifited from good defense.

    Ah, there's that statheadism we love. Just think what Cordero would've done with a BAD defense!

  • I have not read about any leaks that suggest Boston has interest in dealing top prospects for a so-so closer.

    Isn't that what's been causing this whole run-around in the first place?

  • Manny Delcarmen is a better pitcher than Cordero is right now.

    Ah, but what's Delcamen's FIP? Delcarmen's career MINOR LEAGUE ERA, btw, is nearly 4.

  • Cordero is more like a slightly better version of Bob Wickman

    Now if he had said "Has Wickman's body type" I'd have nodded in agreement.

  • He had some bad luck on HR/FB rates, sure, but once you normalize those HR/FB rates, you're still left with a guy who profiles as allowing 4.30 runs (earned and otherwise) per 9 innings pitched.

    We better hold on to the guy! He's the luckiest SOB on the face of the earth! His career ERA is HALF that.

  • Hire me, Theo!!1!! I'm smrt!1!! I dew nunbers!!11

    OK, I made that one up.

  • 5 Comments:

    • That's a depressing display of baseball IQ from a usually intelligent group of people.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/02/2007 8:21 PM  

    • In the tortured metaphor department...Cordero comes with more red flags than a Rose Bowl parade in Communist China.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/02/2007 8:34 PM  

    • Yea, that was pretty bad. Meanwhile as a Red Sox fan, I advocate this trade. I can't believe that a 42nd round DP who had a good season in Single A is keeping the Sox from trading for Cordero who is obviously a top-of the line closer. I definitely wouldn't mind giving up Manny Delcarmen and Buchholz(sp) for Cordero who's only 26 and hasn't even hit his prime yet. And this is coming from somebody who hates giving away prospects more than anything and from someone who hates NL pitchers coming over the AL. That's how much faith I have in Cordero.

      By Blogger Ben Moseley, at 1/03/2007 1:19 PM  

    • You have more faith in Cordero than I do! ;) He's a solid closer, just behind that first tier.

      To be fair, there were some good points in that thread. But there's so much bloviating in there, that I had to point it out.

      As a reformed Yankees fan, I wouldn't mind seeing Cordero facing Giambi with the game on the line at Yankee Stadium!

      By Blogger Chris Needham, at 1/03/2007 1:22 PM  

    • Actually, Buchholz was a first rounder I think and he was the team's minor league pitcher of the year, so now I'm getting a little iffy. I had read somewhere he was a 42nd rounder.

      By Blogger Ben Moseley, at 1/03/2007 1:58 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home