Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Jimbo, The Miracle Worker

All that's pending is a physical, and Jose Vidro is a Mariner. The Nats are netting Chris Snelling, an oft-injured outfielder who's put up some excellent hitting stats in the minors. They're also getting a reliever, Elmiano Fruto, who I know nothing about.

I expect that our good friends at USS Mariner will be having a conniption any moment now. Check out Lookout Landing for bridge jumpers as well.

No word on the $$ changing hands, but it's probably safe to assume that there's quite a bit being shipped out (Actually it's in the article and I glossed right over it -- $12 million, ouch! I'm doubly an idiot; the MARINERS are paying $12 million. We're only on the hook for $4 million. Amazing! The Commisar has to approve it, but I don't see why he wouldn't). Regardless, getting Snelling for Vidro, a guy who I would've thought could pass through waivers unclaimed, is a steal.

I'll have more later... and I mean that!

  • Here's USS Mariner on Snelling 2 years ago. Adjust expectations downward because of all the injuries, of course, but it's a sign that there could be a few decent seasons in his bat. He's under team control for four more seasons, and won't be arbitration-eligible until next year.

  • I warned you about the injury-prone thing, right? Start here and scroll. Then click. And scroll. Then click. And scroll. Then....

  • Thanks to the knee, he's likely not a full time center fielder anymore. But Vidro wasn't a second baseman either. It evens out. ;)

  • M's fans, this is what to expect: Lots of slap-hit singles, the occasional drive to the warning track, mixed with some harmless groundballs -- except when there are runners on, then they're automatic DPs. Defensively, he should remind you a lot of Edgar Martinez. Seriously. He plays deep because he has no range. But still, he doesn't get to anything. Imagine Bret Boone hooked up with Aaron Boone in a drunken three-leg race, and that approximates Vidro's range.

    They can't have the bad sense to play him at 2B, so he's gotta be the DH, right? Then he's definitely just like Edgar, just without the eye, the contact-hitting skills, those pesky extra-base hits. But he does have his foot speed.

  • I haven't felt this giddy since they sent Inning-Endy to the minors. Hell, maybe I WILL renew my tickets. (And, yes, I'm saying that before I've come to terms with the idea that this means that Cristian Guzman is our starting shortstop)

  • Here's a scouting report on Fruito. I wasn't impressed when I looked at his stats (link in the first part with his name), but they said he has good stuff; he just can't control it.

  • 18 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home