Thursday, November 30, 2006

My Secret Obsession

I want to be a GM. OK, I don't really. It's too much work. Too much stress. Too many big decisions. And too many Keyboard Kommandos sitting in their boxers while munching on salt and vinegar potato chips (mmmm! BRB) unfairly ripping your every move simply because they don't like your dutch boy haircut or your stylin' new track suit.

At any rate, as a pseudo-wannabe (and as a stat-drunk computer nerd), I'm a big fan of a number of baseball simulations out there. Whether it's OOTP, DMB, Simnasium, Hardball Dynasty (you get the picture yet?), I've probably played it. But the Granddaddy of them all (maybe not in a chronological sense) is Stats Inc's Diamond Legends.

Diamond Legends is an online version of Diamond Mind Baseball -- considered the most realistic of the sim programs. It's a variation of a game that Bill James (pauses to genuflect) created over a decade or so ago to stave off the offseason of boredom.

At the heart of the game is the ol' question that us silly ol' baseball fans ask: what would Nap Lajoie hit in Coors Field? OK, so maybe that's not something you're asking every day, but the prospect of letting Ty Cobb take his cracks against Nolan Ryan while playing in Safeco Field? I'm there!

I've got a team credit kicking around, and if there's enough interest in it, I'd like to start up a league with any of you schmucks. It's $20 for a season, but it's money well spent, and it'll give you boxscores to look at every morning for the next 4 months. I'd need 11 other saps for a full league, but even if we don't come close, it'll be nice to be able to beat up on a few other friendly faces.

If you wanna see how Frank Robinson would do while hitting in Coors, or how Tom McCraw wouldn't hit in the Polo Grounds, lemme know. You get a million bucks, a catalog of players (which includes Negro Leaguers like Josh Gibson -- and many many many that you've never heard of), and a few months of fun.

If you're interested, drop a note in the comments, or shoot me an email. If you have any questions about how the game works, or if you need direct force applied to your elbow, lemme know that, too. In the meantime, I'll be doing my research, looking for the toolsiest outfielders I can find. Hey, Look! It's Willie Wilson!

7 Comments:

  • Having you kick my butt in one league is enough regular humiliation for me :-) But sounds fun!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/01/2006 10:28 AM  

  • It's definitely fun and addictive. My first team was about 8 years ago, and I play a few seasons a year.

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 12/01/2006 10:49 AM  

  • Interest seems low, Chris. Perhaps you can entice them with free 20-sided die.

    By Blogger Harper, at 12/01/2006 1:36 PM  

  • My email machine is ringing off the tube! ;)

    It's a crushing blow that only a few people have expressed interest in my geeky hobby. Alas. Deflated once again. ;)

    I'm putting together my team, and giving myself the handicap of picking only players who played for the Senators. I had forgotten how terrible they were. Stiffs everywhere!

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 12/01/2006 1:38 PM  

  • The Senators terrible? BOLLOCKS! They were, dare I say it, historic

    -Maestro

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/01/2006 4:45 PM  

  • Chris, let me again leave a plug for Sports Mogul. The baseball game puts you in the role of owner/general manager. You have to negotiate contracts, trade with other gm's and manage a budget by setting ticket prices, tv package, and spending on scouting, farm system and medical staff. You can micromanage the team on the field as well. You have a complete farm system to work with players. Check it out.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/03/2006 6:53 PM  

  • I'd be interested Chris. I actually prefer the retro "what-if" aspect to the completely fictional universe of OOTP or Baseball Mogul. I assume you know how to find me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/04/2006 10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home