Monday, July 31, 2006

Rumor-rama

Just passin' them along....

MLB Radio said that the Nats turned down an offer from the Angels that would've netted the Nats Ervin Santanta, Erick Aybar and Dallas McPherson. I suspect that that's going to be the core of an offer the Nats will accept by the end of the day. Santana's not an ace, but he's a decent 2/3 who's cheap as hell for the next five years. If the Angels dump McPherson out and put in a low level pitcher or two, I can see that working.

The Tigers traded for sack-o-crap Sean Casey, so they're likely out. It seems like it's down to the Angels and the Twins, although I haven't heard anything too serious about the Twins -- of course they're running an awfully tight ship.

More as it comes in....

I, unfortunately, have a meeting which should be 1 hour, but typically runs three. If you're looking for the latest, check out GameDay where a bunch of idiots who think they're smart are discussing options. That'll be one of the first places to copy and paste someone else's report.

4:07 and still no word. The last word I heard was Minnesota. Sometimes it takes a few minutes for things to trickle in, but with something this large, it's likely to leak out pretty quickly.

9 Comments:

  • CBS says Oakland is now in it.
    http://sportsline.com/mlb/story/9579568
    No details though; I wouldn't give it too much weight. Beane trying to drive up the price for Anaheim, perhaps.

    By Blogger andrew, at 7/31/2006 12:23 PM  

  • This gem from jon heyman at si.com has been the highlight of my day so far...

    • The biggest complaint on Sunday was over having to deal with Bowden, who called his top people to Los Angeles to stage a pow-wow. It was a strange use of manpower in that the Nats are admittedly undermanned in their scouting department and supposedly dealing with a half dozen or more teams. Characterizations of Bowden's asking prices for baseball's best rental player ranged from "astronomical'' to "unrealistic'' to "insane.''

    also, if I'm reading this right, the same article made it sound like they gave the same offer to the O's for Tejada.

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jon_heyman/07/31/daily.scoop/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/31/2006 12:37 PM  

  • With just over 2 hours to go until the trade deadline I'm getting nervous. I don't think anyone is going to meet Bowden's trade demands for Soriano. Admittedly I'm in the tank for Soriano and hope he not only stays but resigns here as well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/31/2006 1:56 PM  

  • I don't think Beane wants Soriano. I don't even think he's trying to drive up the price for him. I think he's trying to stall or thwart the Angels from making the trade.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/31/2006 3:51 PM  

  • Well, the deadline has passed, and by cracky, nothing happened after all that hullaballoo.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/31/2006 4:15 PM  

  • I have a bad feeling that not dealing Soriano is going to hurt us far more than it would have been to trade him.

    If I'm the owner: my stipulation would be: "sign him or you're fired".

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/31/2006 4:22 PM  

  • ESPN is saying that it's all over, and the Nats are keeping Soriano.

    Bowden is a fucking joke.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/31/2006 4:39 PM  

  • Tom,

    Why is Bowden a joke to you? Because he made no deal, instead of a possible bad one?

    I only wanted Soriano traded if it could be a blockbuster trade which netted the Nats lots of excellent prospects, not just a "So, whaddaya got?" trade.

    I'm thrilled that we have Soriano for the rest of the season, anyway. I hope that he's a man of his word that he wants to resign with the team, but we will likely have to wait until October to see.

    By Blogger Joe Riley, at 7/31/2006 4:44 PM  

  • Crashriley is a weird screenname for Tom Boswell, but what do I know.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/31/2006 4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home