Sunday, February 13, 2005

If We've Known It For Weeks, Is It Really News?

Barry Larkin hangs 'em up and joins the Nationals' front office as special assistant to the GM in charge of somethin' or other.

2180 games, 2340 hits, .295/ .371/ .444 line, 379 SBs, an MVP Award, 3-time Gold Glover at Shortstop, 12-time All-Star, 1 World Series. Not a bad career. That we even have to debate his Hall worthiness is silly. He's pretty easily in the top-10 shortstops of all time.

Now that I think about it, I'd have it: Honus Wagner, Cal Ripken, Arky Vaughn, Barry Larkin, Ernie Banks. (Banks and Larkin are probably a toss-up to me, and I suppose that's sacrilege to most people. But, remember that Banks played less than half of his games at SS.)

Oh, wait. I forgot to rank Cristian Guzman there. Oh well. I guess I'll have to redo it another time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home