Monday, January 10, 2005

Free Youppi!

Buried at the end of this article, is a little nugget about our furry friend to the north.
The Nationals also will leave behind a big, orange ball of fur in Canada.
Youppi, the Expos' mascot, will not be prowling the stands at RFK Stadium next
season. But he is, at least, expected to be gainfully employed.

"Youppi will live on in Quebec," Mr. Delorme said. "A
local corporation will end up with his rights."

I was holding out hope that they'd export him as a token of friendship with our sometimes-french-speaking friends. Oh well.

I guess we're doomed to have one of those god-awful NBA-esque mascots.

1 Comments:

  • As a Vermonter I was one of the few who religiously attended Montreal Expos games. Before the 1994 strike, Montreal attendance was a force to be reckoned with. No one then would have imagined Montreal without baseball.

    While the Expos were alive and well Youppi used to drive me absolutely crazy. One time he knocked my $10 (Canadian) beer out of my hand. Today I sulk because baseball fever is firing up, but I have no where to go.

    Washington take good care of my team. There weren't many Montrealers who cared about baseball after the strike, but I drove a few hours to see games a few times every week. Like Charlotte, North Carolina, Montreal may be able to handle to support a new team to replace the old a decade or so down the road. I hope.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/01/2005 1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home