Monday, November 22, 2004

Bowden Speaks!

The Rock Star grants an interview to mlb.com. He's very candid in interviews, it seems and gives some refreshing and some not-so refreshing answers to questions.

When he talks about the importance of leadership, I don't get as squeamish as some do. I think things like leadership/chemistry are overrated by some, but I also believe that they're code words used by lots of people in those positions.

A GM is part PR. And when he signs a player he needs to explain why. Leadership and Chemistry play well with the media and the fans, and are reassuring to them. Stats guys may cringe, but it's important to remember that just because someone gives a reason for doing something, it doesn't mean that that's the actual deciding factor.

1 Comments:

  • As a Reds fan (and blogger: www.redsdaily.com) I have to say that I'm not a big fan of Jim Bowden.

    But --

    He's a fun guy to have as GM. There's always - and I mean ALWAYS - something to talk about with the guy. And to be honest if my team's going to be mediocre then I'd rather have him as GM, just because he's constantly churning the roster and running his mouth, and that's fun.

    Get used to the Nats being in every single Peter Gammons column as well. Bowden loves talking to the guy.

    JD Arney
    http://www.redsdaily.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/22/2004 10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home