Thursday, March 27, 2008

Hold Your Boos

Controversy Averted!

There was a bit of a hullabaloo earlier this week when some blogger roused some rabble, by suggesting that the Nationals first-pitch ceremony would be marred with controversy with Paul LoDuca catching a pitch from a former drug abuser. {re-reads story} Errr... what, with the President, an outspoken critic of drug abuse in sports (except when he was an owner; then he could turn a blind eye to it) pitching to the star of the Mitchell Report, our own beloved drug pusher, Paul Lo Duca.

Have no fear, the unseemly combo is gone. Faced with the prospect of getting traded to Basra for an ITBNL (insurgent to be named later), Lo Duca has stepped aside, allowing Manny Acta to share the spotlight in the memorable occasion -- but also so that the triumphant and deserved cheers for the greatest manager since John McGraw overpower the inevitable boo or three aimed at the greatest president we've had since the last one (whoever that is.... my encyclopedia's out of date).

So all the pinko commie bastards out there (and you know who you are -- and we know who you are, since we can smell the patchouli and hemp) should hold your boos. Don't boo the guy throwing the pitch. Cheer for the guy catching it, the people's choice, the one with the higher approval rating. Cheer Manny! Don't boo the other guy!

12 Comments:

  • I am not a fan of the current President and didn't vote for him either time. However, its pretty cool that the President is coming to throw out the first pitch. This is something that only happens in Washington. So I will be happy to cheer for the event.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/27/2008 11:32 PM  

  • I agree with sec--I'm willing to cheer for the office rather than the (pretty awful) man--but I hope everyone who feels inclined to boo has no problem doing so. I recall a couple of years ago someone in the stands claiming to have been a marine yelling at someone who booed Cheney, arguing "I fought for your right to boo!", which somehow meant that therefore we shouldn't exercise it. Personally, I think it's cool to have the president at my team's game, no matter how much I dislike the person serving in that office, but I certainly understand if people want to boo.

    By Blogger James L., at 3/27/2008 11:49 PM  

  • Is Bud Selig going to show up? I'd like to boo him for doing everything in his power to keep baseball out of the District for 34years.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/28/2008 8:14 AM  

  • I plan to take that opportunity to check out the brand spanking new rest room facilities at Nats Park.

    By Blogger natsagainatlast, at 3/28/2008 8:22 AM  

  • The President wasn't such a big opponent of steroids when he employed Palmeiro, Juan-Gone, Pudge...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/28/2008 10:23 AM  

  • oops, I forgot Canseco!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/28/2008 10:23 AM  

  • Oh, I'd boo Selig. I have no respect for the "office" of Commissioner of baseball.

    Keeping baseball out of DC for most of my life was bad enough, but the All Star game fiasco in Milwaukee was the last straw for me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/28/2008 10:32 AM  

  • hmmm... come to think of it, Jeff Gannon looks like he was on 'roids.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/28/2008 10:34 AM  

  • Something that only happens in Washington???!!? Whatever. Presidents throw out first pitches all the time. I saw Clinton do it in Baltimore and Bush has done it other places as well. Boo like you've never booed before! It is not "cool" to have a warmongering idiot throw out your first pitch.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/28/2008 12:45 PM  

  • I'll have to add one to the BOO side, because this president doesn't come out of his bubble to face the people often enough to know what we really think of him. Let him have it, or Mr. Bush will think he will go down in history as another Lincoln.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/28/2008 1:20 PM  

  • But the real question is, will he run in the president's race???

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3/28/2008 4:01 PM  

  • I will cheer for both... begrudgingly for the Pres whom I voted for twice, but loudly for the Manager whom I had no say over his appointment. Kind of a weird twist, really.

    By Blogger Collin, at 3/28/2008 4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home