Wednesday, July 26, 2006

If You Wondered Why I Hate Bowden....

Take a look at this crap. The man's a ham. He sees a TV camera or a reporter with a recorder and his chubby little cheeks engorge with blood like a teenager first discovering late-night Cinemax. He's an exhibitionist. The man loves attention. He loves promoting himself, making others aware of how wonderful he is, and how wonderful his job is (and how wonderful he is at his job!)

Are these the kinds of statements of a truly professional executive? Or are these the statements of a megalomaniac? Sure, the reporters love him. He fills their notebooks and column-inches with tripe. The stories write themselves.

But don't you feel embarrassed reading these things?

  • The fire department is in my office right now hosing down my phone because all it does is burn


  • "We've talked trade with 27 teams today," Bowden said.

    But have you talked to any of them more than once?

    "Yeah, I would hope so," he said, incredulous.

    Well, there are 29 other teams in baseball. What about the other two? How'd you miss them?

    "We've got several hours left in the day. We're talking to more teams per hour," he grinned, creating a new statistic.


  • I'm averaging 1 1/2 hours of sleep a night. I keep getting calls, text messages. I put that [BlackBerry] on 'vibrate' but I still hear it and jump out of bed. It's [Boston GM Theo Epstein or Yankees GM Brian Cashman]. They're crazy.

    ____

    On and on it goes. Shut him the hell up.

    It certainly seems like he's more enamored with being the center of attention than anything. While that's probably a bit unfair, I wish he'd be a pro, instead of a hackilicious PT Bowden huckster.

    He's an executive, not a used car salesman. But you wouldn't know it from that. And that's why it's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt.

    If you act like this, no one's going to take you seriously, even if you do good.

  • 14 Comments:

    • it kind of makes my stomach turn to hear the letters b-o-w-d-e-n said all together.

      By Blogger Cathie, at 7/26/2006 10:24 AM  

    • I completely agree. I read the "hosing my phone" quote this morning and wanted to punch something. My fear is that his love of the attention will obscure the reason behind the trade and his antics will drive down Soriano's price. We shall see.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/26/2006 10:59 AM  

    • Bowden is a CLOWN, always has and always will. Jimbo always wants to draw attention to himself. Its never really about the team, its about perception. I hate the guy sooooo much!!

      By Blogger Screech's Best Friend, at 7/26/2006 11:04 AM  

    • Aw, let Bowden be Bowden. Without real T.V. exposure, this team NEEDS promotion more than most others.

      I think he's the perfect contrast to Kasten. They make a good team, like Riggs and Murtaugh (sp?) from "Lethal Weapon". Guess which one is Riggs? (ha!)

      If we get some flame-throwing pitchers and other good prospects from this pending Soriano deal, then all will be forgiven. Hey, Soriano COULD re-sign, but not if he insists on a no-trade clause, as Kasten made so clear this week.

      By Blogger Joe Riley, at 7/26/2006 11:20 AM  

    • You should have seen what was left out

      "When I approached my wife I told her 'Am I from Tennessee? Because I'm the only 10 you see'. She said I got it backwards but like my smackable face"

      "I'm about to drop a bomb on you. I'm Hezbollah Bowden!"

      "Sometimes at night I hear voices in my head. It's the other GMs praying to me for guidance"

      By Blogger Harper, at 7/26/2006 11:26 AM  

    • There's nothing worse to witness on TV than Jim Bowden being interviewed by channel 4's George Michael. Two loud mouth self promoters yelling into their mics.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/26/2006 12:00 PM  

    • Afreakin'Men!

      Watching that, I'm really glad that the camera stays above the waist....

      By Blogger Chris Needham, at 7/26/2006 12:02 PM  

    • "I hear voices in my head . . ." - great one!

      By Blogger Soji Slade, at 7/26/2006 12:25 PM  

    • Dave,

      That's a great one. It's full of tripe!

      I wonder how Jeff Shaw feels about that?

      By Blogger Chris Needham, at 7/26/2006 12:42 PM  

    • Pitching pitching pitching pitching pitching pitching.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/26/2006 2:31 PM  

    • You say that like you don't believe it!

      By Blogger Chris Needham, at 7/26/2006 2:33 PM  

    • With almost universal agreement that Bowden is a flaming asshole, you have to wonder why Lerner and Kasten were dumb enough to keep him around. If I owned the Nats, I wouldn't keep Bowden around as a hot dog wendor.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/26/2006 2:53 PM  

    • Hows abouts a brisket vendor???

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/26/2006 6:58 PM  

    • You guys are crazy, Bowden has done a pretty damn good job with the Nats in the year and a half he's been there. The fact that this team isn't the worst team in MLB after the royal screwing it got from MLB is a sign of that good work. Given the limitations he's been under from MLB, whatever you think about him personally, you can't say he's doing a bad job.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/28/2006 3:41 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home