Friday, July 21, 2006

Habemus Lernum

Halleluia! For it hath been done!

The paperwork for Major League Baseball's sale of the Washington Nationals to a group led by real estate developer Ted Lerner was completed Friday night.

Control of the team will shift once a money transfer is completed Monday, incoming team president Stan Kasten said during the team's game against the Chicago Cubs.

"Any remaining issues are complete," Kasten said.

The Lerner group was chosen in May by commissioner Bud Selig from among eight bidders to buy the former Montreal Expos for $450 million

Throw in a nice come-from-behind win, and it's a pretty good night to be a Nats fan!

7 Comments:

  • I want to be excited with you, but it's going to take a bit more than a post at BPG to convince me. How do I know your source is credible?

    By Blogger Brandon, at 7/21/2006 11:24 PM  

  • This stuff is so very scripted it's boring.

    Salesman Kasten stated in an interview on Tuesday night that the transfer would take place Friday night. Gee, guess what? The closing took place on Friday night.

    Do you think there might have been just the smallest coincidence between the planned closing date and the Grand Re-Opening weekend? None of this was left to chance.

    By Blogger Bote Man, at 7/22/2006 12:01 AM  

  • Are you kidding me? Stan is the MAN! Hell, it was supposed to rain this evening and into Saturday, and ruin the whole party and I think he even arranged for THAT to be eliminated (ha!)

    No nitpicking at Stan. We're damned lucky to have him - he is quite possibly the very best baseball executive around. He's like the Joe Gibbs of sports executives, how can we complain?

    By Blogger Joe Riley, at 7/22/2006 12:23 AM  

  • Well, for one, Devin Clancey, the poster works for USA Today. For two, If I have any reservations at all about what I post, I let you know. For three, I posted the text of the AP report. But if that's not up to the ol' Kriner standards... ;)

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 7/22/2006 8:26 AM  

  • Latin!? What the hell is this crap?!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/22/2006 11:19 AM  

  • Sorry, I realized after I'd posted my comment that you'd posted the text of the AP story and not directly from BPG.

    Egg on my face, as usual ;-)

    By Blogger Brandon, at 7/23/2006 8:36 AM  

  • 'Bout freakin time!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/24/2006 8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home