Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Just Curious

While not having Rob Dibble on the air is a joyous thing (sadly I was otherwise occupied tonight, and missed out on Ray Knight's banality), it does make me wonder ...

Why would he get put into time out after ripping on Strasburg but not for ripping on the broads? Stan Kasten's quote is priceless and almost makes me like the guy again, but is that really a dumpable offense? I guess the only way it makes sense is that if (as it seems it may have) it pushed enough people who were indifferent to his general obnoxiousness into the "he's a douchebag" category.

And as I tweeted, when did being a jackhole become an issue with the Nats? It's who they hired. And they certainly kept Jackhole-in-Chief Jim Bowden around 14 years after his expiration date.

I wonder how much of this is some sort of tension with his XM duties. Dibble said something that he never would've said on MASN. (He basically admitted as such in the full transcript.) Does that not set well with the team?

As I sorta said with the whole firestorm with his comments on dames, there's part of me that wants to defend him. But his general douchbagosity makes it hard, and makes me not want to give him the benefit of the doubt. I guess that makes me no better a person than he is.

6 Comments:

  • From what I have seen, John Angelos hired Dibble, I don't know how much input the Nationals had.

    I hope that he's spending these two days on an exit strategy.

    By Anonymous WFY, at 8/26/2010 8:17 AM  

  • Isn't it just that Stan's only thin-skinned about criticism of the Nationals? Being a chauvinist isn't a problem. Attacking the product that Stan is selling is.

    By Blogger Steven, at 8/26/2010 8:38 AM  

  • Well, also, what Dibble said was dumb and old-school, but certainly no worse than Joe Morgan's "Billy Beane wrote Moneyball and I'm not going to read it" idiocy. Or, you know, anything Tim McCarver says.

    So I'm in that crowd that hated Dibble when he started, but now I think he's ok.

    By Anonymous Kevin Rusch, Section406, at 8/26/2010 9:45 AM  

  • Kasten's comment was very clearly a joke. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Dibble texted him "Good one!" the minute he heard about it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/26/2010 4:19 PM  

  • Free Rob Dibble.

    By Anonymous Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_for_Me, at 8/26/2010 8:34 PM  

  • Dibble's comment on dames was on the mark. If dames want to talk for nine innings, they should go to Starbucks. If you really want to call someone a douche bag, then Stan Kasten is a much better choice.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/26/2010 9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home