Sunday, July 25, 2010

Old Emails

I'm cleaning up the approximately 56,340 GB of emails in my mailbox, and ran across this exchange I had with someone who wrote/write/not-gonna-let-you-tense-your-way-into-figuring-out-who-it-is/was just prior to the 2007 draft. In light of Ross Detwiler's magnicient start today, it's especially fun.

I've got bad news for you Chris... the Nats won't take Matt Wieters, even if he falls to them. It's not about signability. They simply don't like him. I was told he's a No. 6 hitter in the bigs and an average catcher...

if one of Vitters, Moustakas, Price, or Detwiler fall, that's what they'd like to happen. My guess is Moustakas, with Detwiler being the Wild Card if he's there.

As for Wieters, they like him to a point. But I *think* the person I spoke to was being honest when they said he's no more than a No. 6 hitter and an average catcher. That person said he wants a 3/4 hitter with the 6th pick or a No. 1 starter. Can't blame them if that's true.

Of course it's not like Wieters is smacking the crap out of the ball... He's hitting like a 'roided up Nieves. I, like you, am eagerly awaiting Ross' ascendancy to the No. 1 slot in the rotation.

3 Comments:

  • He ain't much, but given our catching situation (one guy pushing Social Security age and the other washed up with a wrecked labrum and then always there's Wil Nieves, enough said), I'd acquire Wieters straight up for Detwiler right now. And I'd throw in Bally Star to cover Wieters' tolls from Charm City.

    By Anonymous Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_for_Me, at 7/26/2010 5:35 PM  

  • I'm actually surprised you didn't rip the organization for the atrocious manner in which they brought Detwiler back. Starting him on three days's rest coming off major surgery seems insane, especially given the kid gloves they have used with SS and J-Zimm. Det is not another AAAA scrub (yet). He's a high first round draft pick who has raw talent, though crap like this will help ensure it never develops.

    Then they insert Harris at 3rd and bat him 2nd in the order. Why didn't they just leave a flaming bag of dog poop in Detwiler's locker while they were at it?

    By Anonymous bdrube, at 7/26/2010 5:59 PM  

  • I did. Just did it on twitter ;)

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 7/26/2010 7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home