Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Since He Asked...

Barry Svrluga has officially turned into a blogger, as the latest entry at Svrlblg resorts to the blogger's favorite trick: pointless lists of stats. Well played, old man!

This one's actually interesting, and is something that I was going to do. But since he's done the heavy lifting, I'll point you in his direction. "What's it?" you ask. Just a listing of what some of our favorite former Nats are doing -- or in most cases, not doing.

Of the scrubs we've given up, only Claudio Vargas (OPTIONS!!!), Hector Carrasco, Ramon Ortiz (!?!?!) and Livan Hernandez are pitching well. On the other side of the ball, only Brendan Harris, Royce Clayton (!?) and Endy Chavez -- who had the game-winner for the Mets tonight -- are doing anything with the bat. "Future star" Terrmell Sledge has stunk up the park, and apparently lost his job to Jose Cruz, Jr, who's working on his 42nd professional team.

At any rate, it's an interesting enough exercise, but Svrlgblg goes the extra distance and asks its readers these questions:
1. Who is the former National you miss the most?
2. Who is the National acquired in a trade or free agency who you most like?
3. What deal would you most like to see undone?

1) Probably Livan, especially given the team's needs. At the very least, it'd be nice to have a pitcher who could do something with the bat.

Jamey Carroll is a popular answer in his comments, and I certainly loved the guy, but let's face it; he wasn't that good. He'd have been more useful than the execrable Damien Jackson last year, but his sale to the Rockies didn't really mean a damn bit of difference to last year's bottom line.

2) Most like? I'm allowed to like players? Hmmm... Nick Johnson's my favorite player, and he was acquired via trade, but he probably doesn't count! Of the current healthy guys, the one I enjoy watching the most is Austin Kearns, because he does lots of small things -- along the lines of hustling -- that individually don't win games, but add up over the course of a season.

3) I'd love to replay '05 with Tomo Ohka lasting the year. I still wonder what the complete breakdown in the pitching rotation and the reliance on a four-man rotation for the final month did to John Patterson. Would things be different if he hadn't had to throw so many innings? (Over those final five starts, he pitched to a 6.68 ERA, after having a 2.44 to that point)

It'd also be interesting to go back and undo the Soriano trade -- not because I think it was bad, but because I'd be interested to see 1) how it would have impacted our expectations going into this season and 2) what the Nats would've done with the $10 million they had budgeted for him -- remember that they were supposedly (wink, wink) in the competition for AJ Burnett in that offseason. What other tricks would Bowden have pulled off?

What about you guys? Either chip 'em here, or throw them over there where someone'll read your comments, think they're brilliant, and offer you a job with a professional sports team.

8 Comments:

  • 1.) By far Soriano. If he was here with a $100++ million contract my answer would likely change, but he was the one guy on the team who brought some excitement. He was the only reason I found going to the stadium last September tolerable.

    2.) I guess Dmitri Young.

    3.) Brian Schneider's contract. He should be paying the Nationals.

    By Blogger RPS, at 4/25/2007 1:06 AM  

  • I wish we still had Soriano and could give back Guzman. But, I am glad we didn't trade Soriano. He did make the games in August and September fun when there would have otherwise been no reason to go to the park. And it's not like we would have made off like bandits in the trade rumors I have heard.

    Of the current players, I most like Austin Kearns. Felipe Lopez is also a gamer, so that trade looks like a steal to me (and hopefully an MLB arbitrator doesn't see it that way if the Reds file a greivance).

    The funniest thing about the actual blog post is that Tony Blanco responded about his own status....

    By Blogger Natsfan74, at 4/25/2007 9:08 AM  

  • Hmm, you went with Livo, Kearns, and Ohka. I guess I am a true Capital Punishment disciple, since I posted that yesterday on Barry's blog comments. And gave you some love on your breakdown of the Ohka debacle in '05. Shall I look for the check in the mail?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/25/2007 10:00 AM  

  • After the season he had with Colorado last year, how can you not miss Jamey Carroll? I remember hearing Frank say that every team needs a guy like Jamey Carroll, even going so far as to say that if Jamey Carroll goes, then he himself would go (how prophetic).

    I'd probably have to go with either Livan because he was so much fun to watch, especially at the plate, or Bill Bray. Despite his current injury, I was anxious to see him develop as a major league pitcher.

    Kearns is easily the best player acquired by trade. He keeps getting hits, he's got that cannon of an arm, and defines the term "solid" at his position.

    I'd like to see the Vinny Castilla deal undone, not that I have anything against Zimmerman, but because I don't think that we got anything out of it. Where is Brian Lawrence now, anyway? Either that or the Endy Chavez/Marlon Byrd deal. Or Marlon Anderson, I miss him.

    By Blogger Joe Riley, at 4/25/2007 12:05 PM  

  • Thank goodness the Nats didn't sign Soriano to some insane long-term deal! Last year I was hoping he would come back, but there's no question now that they made the right decision.

    Obviously at some point this season he'll actually start producing, but it's highly possible that he'll never have another year as good as '06.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/25/2007 12:46 PM  

  • I agree that I am glad we didn't pay Soriano $136M or anything close to that. Even as a Cubs fan, I think they waaayyyyy overpaid a leadoff hitter. I thought he would sign in the $13-15M per year range, which I think would have been ok, even for the Nats. But the Cubs blew that out of the water.

    By Blogger Natsfan74, at 4/25/2007 1:27 PM  

  • For Question #3 -- Is it permissiable to mention the Sizemore/Lee/Phillips for 1/2 a season of Bartolo Colon? Cause that's the one I'd like to have back.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/25/2007 4:04 PM  

  • After reading Barry's posts and your here Chris, what strikes me is what little talent the Nats have brought in over the past 3 years.....Spivey, P Wilson, Fick, Guzman, J Wilson, Blanco, Byrd, LaCroix, etc....OMG no wonder we suck....and how can Bowden keep his job?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/25/2007 8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home