Monday, March 06, 2006

Behind The Mic

The Nats, as you've probably already heard, named Bob Carpenter their PBPer, replacing Mel Proctor. Carpenter's voice will be familiar, given the number of ESPN games he has called in the past, as well as through his role as Mark McGwire's homer announcer in 1998.

Carpenter created and sells his own scorebook, which is quite popular among major league announcers. It's the usurious fees on shipping which inspired me to make my own damn scorecard. He does, by the way, carry Chuck Slowes' hearty endorsement.

I don't know much about Tom Paciorek, the new color analyst. But I do know two things:
1) I don't have any clue how to say his last name. (Puh-ch-eye-oh-wreck?)
2) He's certain to be a success if only because it isn't pronounced Darling OR Dibble.

Wanna know more? Here's the overly thorough MLB.com press release.

7 Comments:

  • Puh-chore-ick, if I recall correctly. When he was teamed with the insufferable Hawk Harrelson, he was known as Wimpy.

    By Blogger WFY, at 3/06/2006 8:21 AM  

  • Paciorek once dropped trou after a slide into first base. It seemed accidentally on purpose, given that he is known as a jokester. Should be an improvement over Darling, for certain.

    By Blogger DM, at 3/06/2006 9:49 AM  

  • First time caller, long time listener.

    As WFY notes, Wimpy did a stint the color guy with the Hawk on White Sox telecasts. (BTW, I'd say the pronounciation is more like, pa-Shore-ick). Wimpy is knowledgeable, but also a really fun guy with lots of energy. He's a bit like Scott Lyons on Fox (who, conincidentally, also dropped trou on the field). Paciorek will be a 1000% improvement over Darling.

    I'll hang up and take my answer off the air.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/06/2006 10:28 AM  

  • No, it is Pa Chor' ick, whith a hard Ch like Church. I agree he is funny, and had a great chemistry with Hawk. I am a White Sox fan, with the Nats my "NL team", so I probably have seen over 500 broadcasts by Wimpy from when he was paired with Hawk. Another interesting tidbit is that he went public a couple years ago about having been molested by a priest as a kid. Took courage. I like the guy and look forward to seeing him. I actually ran into him in a Comedy Club in Seattle years ago, and got his autograph!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/06/2006 1:10 PM  

  • Oh, and I think dm is confusing Wimpy with Steve (not Scott) Lyons, another ex-White Sox player who ended up in the broadcast booth. Lyons did that on purpose. I do not recall it ever happening to Wimpy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/06/2006 1:11 PM  

  • I heard Dave Jageler on an interview the other day and he has a great voice and sharp wit. He should make a good yin/yang matchup with Mr. Slowes.

    It looks like spring is slowly melting the ice and the trickle will soon become a torrent. First, the lease is close to becoming reality, the radio network will actually allow fans to hear the games for a refreshing change, and (hopefully) new ownership will inject some money and fire into the franchise.

    I caint hardly wait!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/06/2006 4:07 PM  

  • Amen, Frank! Amen!

    Jageler certainly has the pipes. I'll wait for a while before rendering my judgement (and I can tell you're all waiting with baited breath! ;)

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 3/06/2006 4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home