Monday, November 15, 2004

Swan Song

The Nats lost Seung Song on waivers to the Blue Jays. Our friends to the north, at Batters Box, compiled his minor league numbers. He had a 4.00 ERA in 137 innings at AAA Edmonton. I'm not sure specifically about that park, but I know that the PCL, in general, is a hitter's league, so a 4.00 ERA would be very good.

I thought I remember hearing about him breaking his arm last season, which would explain the low IP totals, but I can't find any information on it.

Rotoworld offers a pretty negative assesment of the move, which I think I'd agree with.
Not a great start for Expos GM Jim Bowden. Most organizations could have gotten away with giving up on Song, whose velocity is down from the days in which he was viewed as a top prospect. The Expos aren't most organizations, though. Top to bottom, they have as little talent as any team in the game. Unless Bowden has some very pleasant surprises in store, he's not going to come up with better uses for the final spots on his 40-man roster. Song will probably open next season with Triple-A Syracuse. He's still a potential fourth or fifth starter.

This is a team that should be acquiring players like him, not releasing him. Even if he's a 4th starter, he's cheap and young. And he has an upside. I don't think this will come back to bite us, but you never know sometimes.

6 Comments:

  • You might be thinking of Tomo Ohka - he broke his arm last year.

    By Blogger Ryan, at 11/15/2004 11:50 AM  

  • Nope, I just looked again and found this:
    http://kffl.com/player/8342/MLB
    The Montreal Gazette is reporting Montreal Expos P Seung Song (arm), currently at Triple-A Edmonton, suffered a fractured distal radius bone in his right arm and probably will be out until August. Song will likely need six weeks to heal and another four to regain strength in his pitching arm.


    I'd suggest we both try this site in the future :)
    http://www.alllooksame.com/

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 11/15/2004 11:54 AM  

  • D'oh! The Expos appear to be suffering from the Asian Broken Arm Curse. I hope the change of locale will rid the team of it. If not, don't expect much from Sun-Woo Kim next year.

    By Blogger Ryan, at 11/15/2004 12:09 PM  

  • That last sentence works on so many different levels :)

    I waiver between intense optimism and depression. This team could win 85 or it could lose 105. And none of us have any clue--yet.

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 11/15/2004 12:12 PM  

  • I dare only to hope for two things:
    1) To finish above the Mets
    2) Rickey!

    By Blogger Ryan, at 11/15/2004 12:24 PM  

  • I'm for Rickey, but only as player-manager.

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 11/15/2004 1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home