Monday, March 08, 2010

The Exception to the Rule

Remember when I said Spring Training sucks? Well, tomorrow's not one of those days, at least for the first 45 minutes of the game or so. STRASBURG!!!!! And unlike my faux interest in Matty Chico, this one's genuine. There'll probably be more people watching tomorrow's Nats spring training game than watch a typical late-August Nats game. STRASBURG!!!!

I've only see The Burg pitch once, probably the same game most of you saw him pitch: his loss to UVA in last year's regionals, or whatever the hell round it was. You don't need my scouting report, obviously. But even while getting cuffed around a bit (by his standards), it's not hard to see the raw materials he's working with aren't quite the balsa wood and scrap tin that Mr. Chico possesses.

I'm pretty gosh darn excited to see him. And to hear my friends, Sunshine and the Meathead, call the game, of course. Take a swing of sarsaparilla when Carpy calls him a "special human being" (Two swings if it's "special young man")

Should he start in Washington? I dunno. His contract is such that dicking around with his service time to save bucks really doesn't make a ton of sense, since they've pretty much laid out his salary progression for the next few years anyway. A few weeks here to gain an extra (and expensive) year on the back end makes some sense, but there's little reason to hold him 'til July. Let the minor league affiliates get their paydays with an ExtStrassyGanza, then call him up ASAP.

Even lazy, obnoxious, cheap ol' me'll run out and get tickets for that one.

6 Comments:

  • I'm so down on this collection of AAAA clowns right now, part of me wishes that Stras-hype pulls a hammy or some other "day-to-day" injury that sidelines him 'til ... whenever.

    One more drinking game: A shot of bourbon when Sunshine verbosely explains something screechingly obvious, and then intones: "If he continues to do that, this team could be v-e-r-y i-n-t-e-r-e-s-t-i-n-g come July."

    Yeah, when they're 19-and-60.

    How about winning a damn game?

    By Anonymous Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_is_Too_Pessimistic_for_Me, at 3/08/2010 10:46 PM  

  • Stephen Strasburg farted and it smelled wonderful! Let's hear it for Your Washington Nationals!!!!111!!1!

    By Anonymous 023staN, at 3/09/2010 1:03 AM  

  • So I drove for 3 hours, paid $5 to park, $20 for a ticket behind 3B and the bum goes and gives up 2 hits. I feel so betrayed. The 2 hits that he did give up were solidly hit, of course I did not notice the pitch speed display under the scoreboard until he had departed for the day. GRRR!

    I am **SO** glad that this is Spring Training because if this is the pitching staff they hope to rely on, then the Nats are in deep doo-doo. Walker can't pitch, they proved that today. Batista is 'less worse' than he. Meh.

    Willingham looked a little less lost in LF. Nyjer Morgan stole 2 bases, although the Tigers catcher might have had him nailed on the second steal if he had gotten the ball away sooner and cleaner to the bag; it looked like he might have had trouble getting it out of his mitt.

    I wonder how much I could get on eBay for a game-used ticket from the first S.T. appearance of S.S.???

    By Blogger Bote Man, at 3/09/2010 9:22 PM  

  • Oh, I thought the stands were gonna cave in as about 300 people crammed up and down in the RF corner to watch S.S. warm up before the game. Probably $200K worth of glass in the lenses of those sports photogs packed in a small space down there.

    And still a healthy contingent of Asian photogs and reporters tracking Wang's every nuanced move.

    By Blogger Bote Man, at 3/09/2010 9:27 PM  

  • Bote Man asked, "I wonder how much I could get on eBay for a game-used ticket from the first S.T. appearance of S.S.?"

    A year's college tuition, my friend, at the minimum. Heck, the folks over at NJ are so daft they'll probably bid it up for two years' worth.

    By Anonymous Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_is_Too_Pessimistic_for_Me, at 3/09/2010 11:48 PM  

  • I know this has nothing to do with this post, and I apologize for that in advance. I found an old posting of yours from about 3 or 4 years ago where you said that you made your own scorebook. Could you email me a copy of that? I appreciate it in advance.

    By Blogger P, at 3/10/2010 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home