Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Scout For A Day

Tangotiger from The Book -- available at finer book stores nationwide -- is back with his annual fan survey of defense.

He asks fans from around the country to evaluate the play of their local 9, judging them on a range of categories. He then aggregates the data to find what the consensus is around all of baseball to rank the players defensively.

Please help out with this, by visiting his site and filling out the sheet for the Nats and any other team you've seen regularly this year.

The key when filling out the ballot is to not consider position. Evaluate the player's skills relative to all players. So if someone is fast for a catcher, don't give them an "excellent" for footspeed like you'd give Jose Reyes.

If you post on any messageboards or other blogs related to the Nats, share the link. The more people we get to participate, the more accurate the results are. And traditionally, the Nats/Expos have some of the fewest participants. Let's fix that!

10 Comments:

  • That Hardball Times Link: what and how does the Zone rating measure? Fielding ability, I realize, but what do the numbers represent?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/28/2007 12:02 PM  

  • I'll have more on that in a few days. I just want people to post their impressions at this link in the meantime.

    Zone Rating basically is a percentage of plays a fielder makes that are hit into his area. there's a little more to it than that, but that's a good framework for how you think of it. On the THT link, they then try to convert the number of plays made to runs, comparing each of those players to an average guy at their position.

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 8/28/2007 12:04 PM  

  • Thanks Chris. 8 of the 9 ballots I received were for the Nats, so this is definitely a great blog to reach my intended audience. I'm at 13 total, which is a bit low, but it's no longer critical. Much appreciated.

    By Blogger Tangotiger, at 8/28/2007 12:19 PM  

  • My impressions? I'm surprised Lopez is THAT bad. I knew Zim was good, just didn't know he was good enough to be in the top 3. And Kearns being so high too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/28/2007 12:49 PM  

  • Fantastic job guys. I'm at 23 ballots, which is the median. Thanks for coming through.

    By Blogger Tangotiger, at 8/28/2007 3:44 PM  

  • Tango - MON in the header? Please, this team ain't going back.

    Make it right, WAS.

    How about we get a median ranking "Amen" to that?

    By Blogger Ray Firsching, at 8/28/2007 4:31 PM  

  • Ray,

    I told him the same thing in my comments -- I feel bad for the guy, he grew up in Montreal. But even I stopped referring to the Rangers as the Senators after a year or so.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/28/2007 9:54 PM  

  • I'm pretty sure it has less to do with his desire for Montreal baseball and more to do with keeping his database consistent.

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 8/28/2007 9:56 PM  

  • Apologist.

    By Blogger Nate, at 8/29/2007 1:34 PM  

  • Chris is right. I haven't touched that part of the code since I started running this. Everything runs very smoothly. That said, I'll take a look at it next year if I can.

    By Blogger Tangotiger, at 8/29/2007 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home