Tuesday, February 22, 2005

The B-Sharps

I need to come up with a name for my round-up blurbs that becomes less and less amusing every time you read it. Hmmm. I'll work on it.

  • Full workouts begin in earnest today. (Second Item) All starters, except for Inning-Endy Chavez took BP yesterday.

  • Francisco Beltran went in for an MRI. (Third) He's been having elbow problems. This probably kills any chance he had of coming north. Hopefully, this isn't anything, because I've got a feeling we'll need him by the end of the year.

  • And then there were six. (Four) Alex Escobar and Francisco Beltran signed contracts. Bowden's a machine.

  • Today's Vinny Castilla quote-o-the-day...When asked what he knows about DC...? "I know the president lives there ..."

    I bet he doesn't realize that El Presidente is actually in Ft. Lauderdale!

  • Seth Greisinger is aiming for a spot in the bullpen. Enjoy New Orleans, Seth.
    "I don't think he'll go from a longshot to being on this club," Robinson said. "He would have to do an awful lot. What he can do is improve his position so when we need -- and we will need -- someone during the season, we can say, 'He's the guy who impressed me in spring training.' He can move himself up in the pecking order down here."
    He did say that his favorite book is "The Fountainhead". I've picked up "Atlas Shrugged" three or four times, never getting more than 2-300 pages into it. I just couldn't trudge through her text. I wonder if even 1/4 of the people who've claimed to have read it have actually read it.

  • Today's bonus Vinny Castilla quote-of-the-day.
    Castilla provided the best answer of the day, when asked why, at 37, he thought he could still produce.

    ''I was 36 last year and led the league in RBI,'' he said.

    Only one problem: Castilla was 37 last year and turned 38 on Feb. 6.

  • The Nationals may be on the cover of Sports Illustrated. (Last) Ho Hum. Does anyone actually read that anymore?

5 Comments:

  • I found some clipart and doctored them up in an image editor.

    I've been using them on the links list on the right, but resized them today and figured out how to do a bulleted list.

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 2/22/2005 10:56 AM  

  • That's why they make Cliff's Notes :P

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 2/22/2005 1:21 PM  

  • I'm in my fourth year of trying to read "Atlas Shrugged." Literally. I've got about 80 pages left - after I skipped the 60 pages or so of John Galt's radio speech. I realized after the first 20 pages of Galt's speech that he kept saying the same damn thing over and over again.

    I feel like writing a letter to Ayn (who's in hell, btw) and saying, "Enough already! We get it!"

    New subject - I've been reading this lame book for four years now, and I still don't know how to pronounce her name. Is it "Ann," "In" with a long I, or "An" with a long A?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/22/2005 2:55 PM  

  • I know of only one person who's actually trudged through the book--out of about 5 or 6 who've tried it.

    The whole book is the same damn thing over and over and over. Didacticism at its finest.

    And Adub, I'm pretty sure it's pronounced to rhyme with mine. I don't know if that's intention or not ;)

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 2/22/2005 2:58 PM  

  • We might just want to wait for the movie:
    http://www.atlassociety.com/tas/news_atlas-shrugged-film.asp


    And just to pile on, I actually own two copies of the book. The first was the tiny trade paperback edition a high school teacher gave me. The words were so tiny, it was a chore to read.

    Silly me. I thought it was the small font, so I bought the large format paperback edition.

    It didn't take me too long to realize that the problem wasn't the font.

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 2/22/2005 3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home