Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Oh, To Be Able To Write

Scrolling through the news before bed, I saw that W.C. Heinz died. He's a sportswriter from back in the day, back when the days were apparently golden.

I can't say that I know anything about the guy, but I've heard of the name mainly because I'm familiar with one of his stories. "Death of a Racehorse" is a tremendous piece of sportswriting -- a tremendous piece of writing, period -- made all the more remarkable in that it was written on deadline, and likely on a typewriter as big and heavy as a Buick with keys that you had to punch, permanently bending your fingers in odd directions.

If you've never read it, read it. If you've never clicked on one of the cockamamie links I've thrown up on here, click on that one.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home