Thursday, December 13, 2007

No Christmas Card For The Rocket

Nats 320 interviews Brian Schneider, getting some trade reactions from him. SBF also asks Schneider about Bill Ladson's comments from his last mailbag, where Ladson ripped Schneider for not being a leader and for always hiding from the press. Schneider's response:
Its funny, how I have just been traded. I am gone now. I don’t know why he continues to personally feel he has to say negative things about me and bash me—knowing there is no way I can fend for myself. Yet, he continues to do it. When I hear him talk about leadership in the clubhouse--he doesn’t know what is going on in the clubhouse. We have our own clubhouse and things that go on there. He has no idea. But, he feels he needs to continue to write about it. He really has no idea. More than half the time—it’s not correct at all. I chuckle and I laugh because it’s not even close to the truth.

There's one fewer Christmas Card that Schneider has to send!

I was reminded of a story from early in the 2006 season when mlb.com aired a comment about Schneider from an anonymous source, saying that Schneider was 'complacent'. That comment was later pulled from the story with no explanation given.

  • Schneider, to me, seems like the quiet leader type, not the kind of guy like Dmitri that's going to stand up in the middle of the clubhouse and move guys with his larger-than-life personality. He's the kind of guy, it seems, whose actions speak loudly. For whatever his faults as a player, he really did appear to command the team and the game from the catcher's box, even if the ultimate results were mixed.

    As far as the claim that he didn't make himself available enough, I wasn't in the clubhouse so I can't speak to that, but it always seemed like stories had a quote or two from him, and the few times you caught a Nats interview on TV, it seemed to be with Schneider. Maybe he wasn't always available or give interesting stuff, but he hardly seems to have been the worst (from the outside, of course).

  • 3 Comments:

    • Funny you should mention the Rocket...apparently, Mr. Clemens is named in the Mitchell report.

      By Blogger Michael Taylor, at 12/13/2007 11:45 AM  

    • I don't know who drives me more insane: Screech's Best Friend in all his (to quote Chris) "regalia" or Bill Ladson. But in this instance, give credit to SBF for punching Ladson in the gut with his Schneiderman interview.

      Also, please don't forget that Ladson still thinks Ryan Church will make a few all-star games...can we trade ol' Bill for a bag 'o' balls maybe?

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/13/2007 11:59 AM  

    • Ladson has intimated regularly in his mailbag responses for more than 2 years that the Nats had clubhouse problems, but he never really put a name to it. I always assumed it was Jose Guillen. I was surprised when I read his recent comments about Schneider after the trade. It was the first time I could recall him naming a name when specifically discussing the clubhouse problems.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/13/2007 1:02 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home