Saturday, October 22, 2005

A Brief Personal Indulgence

One year ago on a boring Friday at work I made the plunge. Having been an avid blog reader, I figured I'd give it a shot. I can still remember clicking through blogger's interface, trying to figure out what to name it, what address to use, and all sorts of other small decisions that don't really matter all that much anyway.

I didn't write that much the first day. But that's ok because no one was reading it anyway. At the time there were only a few Nats Blogs, most of whom have vanished into the ether. I didn't think I'd make it this far either!

I started because I wanted to learn about the team. I followed the Yankees semi-religiously, and didn't know a whole lot about the Expos, or of the National League. Writing would force me to learn about the players, and discover the kinds of things I like to know about, especially because there were so few places to learn them. Expos blogging wasn't the cottage industry it's turned out to be in DC.

But I also wanted to do it so that I could write again. The job that pays me the big bucks (HA!) requires a lot of whereases and heretofors. Although the prose I churn out technically follows the syntax rules of the English language, it's horrible to read and write. I'm not the best writer in the world: My sentences are sometimes clunky; I could certainly use an editor to scale back my wordiness; and my train of thought frequently leaves the station before the engine. But it's a comfort and a release to write in a more conversational style. Plus it lets me vent my anger and frustration at the team!

And along the way, I've discovered a loyal band of readers who share the same passion for baseball and the Nats that I do. Thank you! The nature of blogging is that it's a very selfish act. The blogger assumes that anyone would give a rat's ass about the drivel they type out, and takes gratification when the hit counter climbs. But I sincerely hope that some of you have gotten something out of it too.

So thanks for reading, but let's get back to baseball. I've had enough of this self-admiration society!

4 Comments:

  • Congrats on one year. I enjoy reading Capitol Punishment as much as you enjoy writing it!

    By Blogger Brandon, at 10/22/2005 6:01 PM  

  • Well done making it a full year! I have certainly enjoyed your blog: the humor, the cogent analysis, the Frank rants, the clever quips, the Frank rants, the piercing updates on the stadium situation, the Frank rants, the pleasing color scheme, the Frank rants, and yes, even your writing, which is head and shoulders above any you find in, say, The Washington Times!

    Keep it up for another year!

    By Blogger DM, at 10/22/2005 11:56 PM  

  • Well done making it a full year! I have certainly enjoyed your blog: the humor, the cogent analysis, the Frank rants, the clever quips, the Frank rants, the piercing updates on the stadium situation, the Frank rants, the pleasing color scheme, the Frank rants, and yes, even your writing, which is head and shoulders above any you find in, say, The Washington Times!

    Keep it up for another year!

    By Blogger DM, at 10/23/2005 9:45 PM  

  • Congrats, indeed. Keep up the curmudgeonly work ... and the good writing!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/24/2005 9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home