Sunday, February 18, 2007

Belliard Signs

The Nats actually suckered Ron Belliard into signing a non-guaranteed minor league contract for $750K, a surprisingly good signing. Belliard is a solid performer who, if there was a merciful god, would be taking Guzman's slot in the lineup.

(Someone'll correct me if I'm wrong, but on a non-guaranteed deal, a certain percentage of it is guaranteed if the player isn't 'cut' by certain points during the spring, up to a maximum of about 25% of the value of the contract? -- and if that's the case, do you think that Bodes slid it by Kasten by calling Ron "Rafael"?)

The Times says that Guzman showed up today and that his shoulder still isn't 100% healthy. Another Ryan Church-style Wus! What's wrong with these guys? Why can't they play through their pain and be leaders of men like Jose Guillen?

He's got a good bat for a second baseman, roughly league average. He's more of a line-drive hitter, which could be a great fit for this park. The last time he played in a park conducive to doubles, he cranked out 36 and 48 of them.

He doesn't have the classic second baseman's body. He's much more Vidro-like. Accordingly, I've never thought much of his defense, but the Cardinals and Indians, the last two teams he's played with, are on the forefront of the statistical revolution, and both teams have done a lot with defensive evaluations. If he were a drain, I can't see either team doing anything -- and I can remember a sterling play or two from him in the NLCS. He's older, and second basemen decline earlier than most other positions, so who really knows. Of course, you could put him out there with a bar stool and a pool net, and he'd be better than Vidro.

7 Comments:

  • Great deal....Guzman had no range or more importantly no anticipation in 2005. One of the worst shortstop years I can ever remember (30 + years of history).

    If he can not play it will be a blessing. My real beef with the Nats if they are not being honest with us.....Johnson my never play again and they most know that at best he may be able to try at the end of 2007. Guzman was never the solution for the PLAN. Why did they try to say he would be the shortstop for 2007?

    By Blogger JayB, at 2/18/2007 12:12 PM  

  • JayB is your real name Phil Dunn??

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2/18/2007 1:10 PM  

  • That can't be me Stevie boy because I am not a coward like others who post under fake names. Further, I love Christian Guzman. I'd rather have him as our SS than Derek Jeter.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/18/2007 6:34 PM  

  • Hey Phil,

    JB is my real name.....and did you watch 2005? How many 5 hop balls to the left side of 2nd base did you Guzman not even get a glove on?

    I had a 20 game plan and I saw at least 10!

    By Blogger JayB, at 2/18/2007 7:01 PM  

  • I have no doubt, JB, that's your real name. It is "Stephen" that I wonder about. There is a naive blogger who shall go unnamed who likes to throw insults around while using fake names. He is upset that I refuse to wear his rose colored glasses when it comes to the Nats.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/18/2007 7:35 PM  

  • Ha, Phil Stephen is my real name. I usually go by Stefin (so people don't call me Steve)And while I think Jeter is the second most overrated player in MLB history I would take him with one arm over Guzman.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2/19/2007 12:22 PM  

  • does this mean felipe will move back to SS? hopefully, b/c that also means that guzzie still isn't ready (please, oh please, oh please)!

    as an indians fan, i can tell you that belliard's, uh, rotund physique means he is a 2b and only a 2b. no utility IF possibility here.

    overall, not a bad signing for a team destined to be bad. it goes without say that i hope guzman never again dons a nats uniform.

    By Blogger DCPowerGator, at 2/20/2007 9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home