Monday, October 23, 2006

Say! It's Not Joe!

Joe Girardi took himself out of the running and Svrluga's story seems to indicate that it was his job if he wanted. Good. I wasn't a big Girardi fan based on everything I read about his tenure in Florida. (And perhaps I'm still bitter because the crappy bastard stole half of Jorge Posada's should've-been Hall-of-Fame career, but that's another story).

So it looks like it's down to Manny Acta (who interviewed with the Rangers and is on the Giants' radar), Terry Pendleton (who seems reluctant to leave his family in ATL), and Tony Pena (who's afraid to step foot in Missouri lest he leave with buckshot in his hide)

I guess I'd rank them in that order, but I don't know a whole helluva lot about the managerial acumen. Much like a late-night comedian loves scandal, I think I'd kinds like to see Dusty Baker here. Maybe that, at least, would cure some of the malaise that struck my bloggin' in season two. Sadly, everyone's favorite MLB.com Beat Writer sez that that ain't happenin'.

2 Comments:

  • First of all, if you weren't a fan of Girardi, I'm amazed that you would want Baker on board. While being the opposite of Frank, I don't think he would have done much good as he has not shown success in turning teams around. The Giants had Barry Bonds, the Cubs didn't and look what happened.

    My candidates would be:
    1. Ron Washington - has been practically running the A's. If they don't hire him, we should.
    2. Manny Acta - better act soon on him, he is going to be a good influence.
    3. Terry Pendleton - has done good things in Atlanta.
    4. Tony Pena - not a fan of retreads but I don't know who could have worked wonders with the Royals. Definately not Buddy Bell.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/24/2006 10:32 AM  

  • I don't really want Baker on board -- far from it. I just think he'd be good bile-filled rant fodder. I'd have plenty to be angry with!

    Washington was a name I had tossed out there a few weeks ago. I could go for him, but I haven't heard his name in connection with the job yet.

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 10/24/2006 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home