Thursday, October 27, 2005

An Ode To Pants

I sat in my chair last night, watching the final out of the World Series, seeing sheer joy play out in front of me, a joy I didn't share.

I thought back to when my original team first won back in 1996. I know, I know... no one likes to hear a Yankee fan reminisce about winning, but we hadn't won anything back in 1996. It was all new. I remember having a room full of people huddling around the only TV on my dorm's floor, cheering so loudly that one of the RA's from two buildings ran over to yell at us.

The feeling I had when Charlie Hayes closed his glove on the foul pop was one I'll never forget. So although I didn't share in the excitement of the White Sox fan, I can relate. Read the sheer joy at Black Betsy. They joy of winning is fun to see, even if you can't share in the complete emotion. If your team has won, you know the elation. If it hasn't, you've got something to look forward to.

The end of the game did fill me with a little sadness though. The season's over. All the games have been played. And the Washington Nationals' first season is completely over. Quite a ride.

As they showed Ozzie Guillen, Fox flashed one of their ubiquitous graphics, noting that he is the first Chicago manager to win the World Series since Pants Rowland. What a name. I know a bit about Pants, if only because of that name and what he accomplished. Pants died in 1969, almost forty years ago, and had a relatively short career as manager, given his successes.

But he won. And that's why, 88 years after his accomplishment, he's still remembered. As the Prospectus cliche goes, Flags Fly Forever. And the memories of the games leading up to those flags stick with you. I remember Paul O'Neill's hobbling catch of a vicious liner to right-center that saved a game. White Sox fans are going to remember Juan Uribe leaping high into the stands to rip a foul ball out of the air, turning a strike into an out. Those memories will stay and be treasured.

Somewhere in Chicago, a few people have memories of Pants. And their children and grandchildren have memories of stories about Pants. Winning is special.

I can't wait to experience it here.

2 Comments:

  • I actually teared up a little. Now let's hear something about an owner.

    P.S. Is it remotely possible that his full name was Pantaloons?

    By Blogger Nate, at 10/27/2005 10:31 AM  

  • Actually, he was a nudist. It was meant as an ironic nickname -- like fat pitchers being nicknamed tiny. At least he wasn't nicknamed jumbo pants.

    And I'm working on the owner thing.... ;)

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 10/27/2005 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home