Thursday, July 21, 2005

???

Sez the AP:
Perhaps Livan Hernandez was frustrated by giving away a lead in a loss to the NL-worst Colorado Rockies. Or by tying a modern major-league record by hitting four batters. Or maybe he was upset he was taken out after seven innings.

The Washington Nationals' All-Star pitcher wouldn't say exactly what was bothering him or fully explain why he suddenly announced after Wednesday night's 3-2 loss to the Rockies that he's contemplating having right knee surgery that could end his season.

"I'm not happy for three years. After the season, I'm going to tell you" why, said Hernandez, 12-4 with a 3.44 ERA and the unquestioned staff ace.

"It's 99.9 percent I'm not going to pitch no more" this season, he said. "I'm done, I think, so let's see what happens. ... I'll go to sleep and I'm going to make a decision tonight."

His right knee has been a nagging problem all year, and it was drained May 16. But Hernandez said it's not bothering him enough to affect his pitching -- nor was he told to have the knee worked on.

"It's not the doctors. It's me. I'm the doctor. I don't need it, but I'm going to" have an operation, he said.

Pressed to explain why, Hernandez said: "I'm tired of something. ... I'll tell you when the season's over. I'm mad."

Told of Hernandez's comments, Nationals manager Frank Robinson said he didn't want to say much without hearing directly from his pitcher.

"I have no idea who he's mad at," Robinson said.


It's probably you, Frank.

I'm too tired and angry to rant now. But I'll definitely have some coherent thoughts in the morning.

1 Comments:

  • I liked it better in June when we were on the good side of all these 1 and 2 run games... :-/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/21/2005 8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home