Saturday, June 25, 2005

Cy Cordero?

I'll just throw this out there. I'm not sure I agree with it, but it struck me as I look at the numbers.
IP    H   HR BB  SO  W  L  SV  ERA
82 64 7 20 78 4 2 53 0.97 -- Chad Cordero's projected stats

82.1 37 2 20 137 2 3 55 1.20 -- Eric Gagne, 2003

In 2003 Eric Gagne was the toast of baseball, winning the Cy Young and finishing sixth in MVP voting.

Cordero hasn't been as dominant -- he allows more hits than Gagne and doesn't strike out as many batters, but he's been just as efficient.

And he's definitely a big part of why our record in close games is what it is.

Is he our best pitcher? Early in the season he was certainly overlooked. (Even by Bowden and Frank, despite what they may claim now)

But, maybe it's time to rethink it? Who's more important? Livan? Or Cordero?

3 Comments:

  • I think you know where I'll come out on this one. According to Win Value, Cordero's not only more important, he's nearly twice as valuable as Livan, with a season WV runs of 43 versus Livan's 22.

    By Blogger DM, at 6/25/2005 11:50 AM  

  • It's interesting that WV is that imbalanced. I'm amazed that he's leading in RV even.

    How much of that is Livan 'pitching to the score' though?

    That's the problem with him, as we're seeing. He might not have the raw numbers of some other pitchers because he lets up when he can, but I definitely trust him when things get rough.

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 6/25/2005 12:53 PM  

  • Well, WV should account for "pitching to the score" -- if Livan gives up some hits when he has a big lead, there are worth less WV.

    I just looked at some charts of their WV, and the imbalance is simply Cordero's workload -- he's been in 36 games, Livan in 16. Cordero's picked up some positive RV/WV in all of his games this year, while Livan struggled in a couple of early starts

    By Blogger DM, at 6/25/2005 4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home