Saturday, June 25, 2005

Cy Cordero?

I'll just throw this out there. I'm not sure I agree with it, but it struck me as I look at the numbers.
IP    H   HR BB  SO  W  L  SV  ERA
82 64 7 20 78 4 2 53 0.97 -- Chad Cordero's projected stats

82.1 37 2 20 137 2 3 55 1.20 -- Eric Gagne, 2003

In 2003 Eric Gagne was the toast of baseball, winning the Cy Young and finishing sixth in MVP voting.

Cordero hasn't been as dominant -- he allows more hits than Gagne and doesn't strike out as many batters, but he's been just as efficient.

And he's definitely a big part of why our record in close games is what it is.

Is he our best pitcher? Early in the season he was certainly overlooked. (Even by Bowden and Frank, despite what they may claim now)

But, maybe it's time to rethink it? Who's more important? Livan? Or Cordero?

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home