Wednesday, March 30, 2005

The Eureka Moment

It's official. I'm hooked. They've captured me and I'm powerless to stop it.

Last night, when I got the news about Endy Chavez, it filled me with the kind of happiness and satisfaction you feel when your team does something good.

We haven't seen any games, well meaningful ones, at least. And we haven't seen any game-winning hits, or complete game shutouts. But yesterday was the same kind of feeling.

When I got the news, I had to run and tell someone. Because you're crazy enough to be reading someone's ramblings about a team we haven't seen, I know you know the feeling. Something good happens to your team, they make a big trade or an amazing play in the field, and you have to share your elation with someone. Whoever. It doesn't matter. Maybe it's your friend. Maybe it's your girlfriend. (Or, if you're still living at home (and I'm looking in your direction), your mom!)

It's that burning desire to share what you've just seen. It almost hurts to keep it inside.

But, you don't get that feeling when the Royals make a great play. You don't get that feeling when the Rockies make a big trade. You only get that feeling when it's your team -- the team you're pulling for.

Last night, I had that feeling. For the first time with the Nationals.

It took me a while to recognize it for what it is. But, I'm glad. They're my team now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home