Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Joy In Mudville?

I suppose I should be happier--especially considering how depressed I was last week. But, for some reason, I'm not filled with joy. And that's kinda depressing.

I was happy with the result, but I guess all the machinations wore me out. I work in legislation, so I’m used to the proverbial sausage factory. I’ve seen the hog innards before, so that aspect wasn’t surprising. I don’t know if it was the long, drawn-out process that got to me, or if it was belief, buried very deeply inside, that this was going to work out in the end anyway.

I guess what I’m feeling is more relief than happiness.

I hope…well, I know that’ll change when I’m sitting in the sun, watching Cristian Guzman beat out the game-ending double-play grounder. I’m definitely looking forward to seeing, listening, thinking about and even writing about the games.

I lived in Baltimore for a few years and, because I was a poor college student, didn’t go to as many games as I would’ve liked--unless my Yankees were in town. I’ll have to learn some new teams, learn to watch the pitchers make outs, and learn to hate the Braves.

No matter how messily we’ve gotten to this point, the Nats are here. And I’m looking forward to it.

2 Comments:

  • The way they've played the last few years--hell, the last 150 years--it shouldn't be toooo hard to switch allegiences :)

    I won't go the full-season route. There's simply too many games that I can't, or wouldn't wanna go to. Who wants to see the Brewers 8 times a year? :)

    I had talked about splitting a season ticket package with someone, but didn't want to deal with the logistics. I'll definitely latch on to one of the mini plans though. 20 games? 40 games? I don't know yet. I'll have to wait and see what they're offering. The one article in the Post mentioned they were talking about 10-game plans. I'm sure they'll offer more than that. I hope.

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 12/22/2004 11:29 AM  

  • I dropped by the Nationals' ticket office on Christmas Eve morning (after purchasing some stuff at the team store) and got a few pocket schedules. While there, I asked about partial plans, and they said the specific formats were still being figured.

    I would hope they have day-specific plans, particularly for Saturday and Sunday; most teams do (in the past, I've had such plans for the Phillies, Yankees and Mets when I lived in Bucks County and then central Jersey).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/25/2004 3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home