Tuesday, February 28, 2006

And The Worst Comparison Of The Day Is....

"If somebody has a good year, stays injury-free and goes out there and does their job, I don't know why you would expect that person to take a backup role," [Royce] Clayton said. "If Roger Clemens goes out and pitches well and does his job, I don't think there would be teams that expect him to take a role as a reliever. I don't know why anyone would expect me to do that when I feel my abilities are going on the upswing, not the other way." -- MLB.com


I understand that professional athletes need confidence, and need to believe that they're the best. It's that edge that makes them who they are, but....

One of these lines is Royce Clayton over the last three years. The other is right-handed batters versus Roger Clemens over those same three years:
A: .260/ .320/ .362
B: .233/ .288/ .372

Don't cheat! Who's who?

2 Comments:

  • I'm not sure I follow his analogy, unless his point is that if a player is sucessful in one role, it might make sense to leave him there. But surely he has some idea what's going on at second base...and that Nats relief pitching is more solid than the bottom of the starting rotation.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/01/2006 12:14 AM  

  • He's basically saying that he's proven himself in the past, and that because of that, he shouldn't be asked to be anything but a starter.

    No one would send Roger Clemens to the pen, and since he's 'proven himself' as much as Clemens (HA!), why should be sit on the pine?

    ____

    His batting line is the first one. Clemens batting line allowed is the second.

    By Blogger Chris Needham, at 3/01/2006 7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home