Thursday, December 22, 2005

Fouled-Off Bunts: Mr. Livan Goes To Washington Edition

Livan Hernandez is doing what any good American citizen has a problem that needs fixing: talking to his Congressman. In Livan's case, he's representing a group of Cuban defectors who want to play on behalf of the Cuban team in the World Baseball Classic, since the Treasury Dept has barred the Cuban National Team from playing.

Congressman Diaz-Balart, with whom Livan is meeting, supposedly lobbied to prevent Cuba from participating, and Livan and the group is hoping that he'd sign off and lobby on their behalf to get them recognized by MLB and any international sanctioning bodies.

The article notes a few potential players, but leaves off two players I had expected to see: Rafael Palmeiro and Jose Canseco. Strange that they weren't listed.

  • Worried for former third-base coach Dave Huppert? Fear not! He's a BlueClaw now, managing in the Phillies system. It's a short get-to-know you piece. Your Dave Huppert Fun Fact O' The Day: He caught the first 31 innings of the legendary 33-inning Pawtucket/Rochester minor league game in 1981.

  • Wondering what former Met broadcaster/ NBC Tennis broadcaster Ted Robinson has to say about the state of the Nats? Me neither.

  • I missed this the other day, but the Wall Street Journal ran a short article recapping the stadium/ownership mess for a larger audience. So now the entire nation can be bored, too!

  • Distinguished Senators weighs in with his take on the pitchers the Nats are interested in. He doesn't hate noted steroid-user Ryan Franklin (at least as much as he hats Soriano!)
    I like this Franklin. He's an extreme flyballer, and he knows his limitations and isn't afraid to exceed them by cheating. I'm looking at this guy to play for my favorite sports team, not marry my sister, so to hell with the morality of it. I want fighting spirit, and a guy willing to sacrifice the health of his testicles can play for me anytime.

  • Federal Baseball notes that DCRTV says that all the Nats games could be on Z-104 next season. While not perfect, it's better than hand-crank-operated signal of WFED.

  • 4 Comments:

    • The problem with Byrnes is his splits. He beats the hell out of left-handed pitching, but is pretty horrible against righties.

      If it was the other way around, I'd be all over him, but essentially he's Marlon Byrd -- just without the ability to play center.

      By Blogger Chris Needham, at 12/22/2005 2:28 PM  

    • I believe the date you're looking for is 4/7/06!

      I wouldn't mind having him. I just don't think we'll be able to pay him what he wants. I'm sure someone will be even more interested than we are. It's worth looking into though.

      By Blogger Chris Needham, at 12/22/2005 4:30 PM  

    • Thanks... brain lock. I was picturing someone else as I was typing the name.

      Last time I dabble into politics here... ;)

      By Blogger Chris Needham, at 12/22/2005 6:30 PM  

    • I thought about Byrnes yesterday, but then ended up thinking - what good does he really do for us, what does he add? That's the real question. I think he's going to what more money than we can afford, and maybe more than he's worth, so unless something changes, I just don't know if it makes sense.

      But I love the way he plays, full out, willing to sacrifice his body to make a play, etc. How many times will we see Fonz "Malcontent" Soriano do that in LF this year?

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/23/2005 1:32 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home